THE HISTORY OF THE SLOVAK BOARD ON BOOKS FOR YOUNG PEOPLE
The original Czecho-Slovak IBBY Section had its beginnings in the early 1950s, with the establishment of two central state publishing houses, which were specialized in children’s literature: Albatros in Prague and Mladé letá in Bratislava. Each of them had positive impact on your readers both the nations.
In 1959, the Kruh prátel detské knihy (Circle of Children’s Book’s Friends) was founded in Prague; later, the club was renamed Spolecnost prátel knihy pro mládez (Society of Juvenile Book’s Friends). A year later, in 1960 inBratislava, the Kruh priatelov detskej knihy [Circle of Children’s Book’s Friends] was established. Both of the societies paid attention to promoting the books among young readers.
In 1964, at the 9th IBBY Congress held in Madrid, Spain, the two organizations – acting together as the Czecho-Slovak IBBY Section – were admitted as members of IBBY.
At the IBBY Congress held in Ljubljana, Slovenia in 1966, the BIB Secretary General invited the National Sections of IBBY to participate in the newly established Biennial of Illustration Bratislava by selecting the national entries. The first Biennial took place in 1967.
After the split of the Czecho-SlovakRepublic in 1993, an independent Slovak IBBY Section was established.